Does anyone know who the people in are this photo? If so, please let us know!
Early Days of Schools in Monroe
1819 – First school held on the south side of the river in a brick building.
1827 – Michigan Legislation authorized townships to employ schoolmasters who were paid by the
parents of children who attended school.
1828 – Monroe County organized the first district school on Michigan, the Bridge School.
Since 1948 the Monroe County Fair has been part of the culture of Monroe County. Over 70 years of rides, games, 4-H competition, contests and live entertainment has been a part of every summer. For many school children and parents, The fair heralded the end of summer vacation and was one last hurrah before school started in the next few weeks.
“Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.”
Gen. John A. Logan, 1868
Arbor Day is a holiday that encourages the planting and caring for trees. The holiday was founded in 1872 by J. Sterling Morton, the Secretary of Agriculture in Nebraska. In 1893, he became the Secretary of Agriculture under President Cleveland and expanded Arbor Day into a National Holiday.
Elizabeth Upham McWebb “Aunt Bett”
Born near Flat Rock in 1904, McWebb moved to Monroe in 1908. She authored the Little Brown Bear book series and also wrote poems from her own life experiences. She drew inspiration for her books from a teddy bear that she loved as a child. Ms. McWebb passed away at the age of 99 in 2004, known for reading stories and poems to children at events throughout Monroe County; the statue of Little Brown Bear outside the Dorsch Memorial Library stands in honor of her dedication to the youth of Monroe.
Honoring the Citizens of Nineteenth Century Monroe
If you live in Monroe County you have probably heard of the River Raisin Massacre, and the War of 1812. The site of the River Raisin Massacre, was established as the 393rd unit of the United States National Park Service on March 30, 2009. It officially began operation as a national park on October 22, 2010 and, of the four National Battlefield Parks in the country, it is the only one marking a site of the War of 1812.
In 1817, Monroe became a county through a proclamation by then Govenor of the Michigan Territory, Lewis Cass. At that time it included all of Lenawee and a portion of Wayne and Washtenaw counties. Michigan was not yet a state, but a territory. Monroe was the second county to be established, Wayne County being the first.