Bygones of Monroe:
THE EARLY DAYS OF MONROE
Extracts from a Journal kept by Edward D. Ellis, Editor and Publisher of the first Newspaper Published in Monroe - 1825 to 1836.
ITEMS OF PIONEER TIMES.
Monroe , Mich. , March 10, 1832.-Vistula is the name given to a new town just commencing under the most flattering auspices, near the southern extreme of the Territory, in this county, and distant some twenty miles from this village. Its location is near the mouth of the River Miami of Lake Erie. It is situated on a high and beautiful rise of ground, near the residence of B. F. Stickney, Esq., and a short distance from the mouth of Swan Creek, and commands immediate intercourse by water with Lake Erie . Its harbor passes a deep channel, and vessels of large size are readily admitted to the heart of the newly located town. A number of individuals, some years since, under the name of the "Cincinnati Company," purchased, at or near the same location. For reasons best known to themselves, they suffered the lands to be forfeited to the government, and abandoned the project of building a town at this very eligible position. Circumstances connected with their failure, have, till now, prevented any material improvements taking place since that time. The property in that vicinity has recently passed into the hands of persons by no means destitute of means, and who are gifted with as large a share of perseverance and energy, as often falls to the lot of those engaged in the laudable enterprise of building up a new country. An extensive iron manufactory is about establishing in the vicinity; a large grist mill is soon to go into operation; and a steam mill is shortly to be added.
(Monroe Commercial, June 15, 1876.)