Bygones of Monroe:
The Fort which has been built by the boys of the Fourth Michigan Regiment on the Virginia side of the Potomac, has been named “Fort Woodbury” in honor of the Colonel of the Fourth. The Fort was dedicated on the 16th inst. A private letter furnished the Detroit Tribune thus describes the dedication:
“The Fort was dedicated this morning at 9 o’clock, under the order of the Brigadier General. The Regiment turned out in full uniform at the appointed hour and marched inside the Fort, where we formed into line of battle. The staff officers of the division were all present during the ceremony. Rev. Dr. Strong, Chaplain of the Regiment, opened the services with prayer, and made some eloquent remarks suitable to the occasion, after which a splendid American Flag was raised, by a national salute of thirty-four guns, the Band playing “Star Spangled Banner,” “Hail Columbia,” “Red White and Blue,” “Yankee Doodle,” etc.
“Colonel Woodbury proposed three cheers for the American Flag, which were given with a will. Cheers after cheers rent the air for Gen. McClellan, Gen. Porter, Fort Woodbury, and others.”
“A breastwork from our Fort to “Fort De Kalb” is nearly completed. Fort De Kalb is to our right about one-half mile distance; on our left is Fort Cass and Fort Hoffman, and about half a mile distant from each other. The former was built by the 9th Massachusetts, and the other by the 21st New York Regiment. To our rear about a mile is Fort Corcoran, built by the 69th New York Regiment before the Bull Run affair.”
(Monroe Commercial, September 26, 1861, Page 2, Column 2)