Monroe County Library System,  Monroe, MI 48162

Search:





Bygones of Monroe:

Toledo Woman Buys One of Monroe's Best Business Blocks

Monroe Evening News, Aug. 2, 1919, pg. 1

Telephone Building on East Front Street Changes Ownership. Purchase Price Not Made Known.

Two Big Realty Deals This Week

Charles Verhoven, the Barber, Buys Building Occupied by Sam's Restaurant, on West Front Street.

During the week just coming to a close two large reality deals were transacted in Monroe and the property that changed ownership consisted of the Telephone building on East Front street and the building occupied by "Sam's" restaurant on West Front Street. It was the two largest realty deals, involving business blocks, that have been made in the city in some time and although the purchase price is not being made known in either one of the two transactions it is reported that both buildings brought about $45,000.

The Telephone building was sold by the Monroe Building company to Mrs. Emma Russell of Toledo, who has already taken possession of it. This building which is constructed of brick, was erected in 1907 by the Monroe Building company, which was originally organized with A.A. Schmidt, president; A.B. Bragdon, vice- president; and C. William Beck, secretary and treasurer. The stockholders of was sold comprised the estate of the company at the time the building A.B. Bragdon, C. William Beck, and Clifton Kolb.

The Telephone building site was formerly occupied by a flour mill operated by the late W.C. Waldorf, which was later taken over by the Amendt Milling company.

The building is three stories in height and the first floor is occupied by the Michigan State Telephone company offices and Hutchin and company's Five and Ten-Cent store. The second floor is used by the Telephone company as an operating room, doctor's and law offices and the Christian Science society, while the entire third floor is used by the Knights of Columbus as lodge and club rooms.

Charles Verhoven, the barber, purchased the building on West Front street, occupied by "Sam's" restaurant. It is a two story building with basement and it was bought by Mr. Verhoven from Henry D. Hoffman. No changes will be made in this building for the present, at least.

Monroe Evening News, Aug. 2, 1919, pg. 1


If you experience any difficulties with this web page please contact the Library at:
contact e-mail
Copyright Infringement Policies and Procedures,
Internet Service and Acceptable Use Policies
Copyright © 2012-13 Monroe County Library System


Home - Site Map - Library Catalog - Event Calendar - My Library Card  
MCLS Zones - Library Information - Books, Movies, Music
eResearch - Genealogy - Local Information


twitter Facebook Flickr Youtube