Bygones of Monroe:
Marriage of Gen. Custer
The marriage of Brigadier Gen. G.A. Custer was solemnized at the Presbyterian Church in this place, at 6 o’clock on Tuesday evening the 9th inst., the bride being Miss Libbie Bacon, only daughter and only child of Judge D. S. Bacon, one of the old residents of this City. Long before the hour appointed, the church was filled almost to suffocation, every seat in the body of the church and in the gallery being appropriated, and nearly all the standing room in the aisles and in the vestibule being occupied. Soon after the appointed hour the bridal party reached the church, and the bride, leaning on the arm of her father, passed down the east aisle of the church, while the bridegroom, with the brides’ mother, passed down the opposite aisle, each preceeded by a bridesmaid and groomsman. The marriage ceremonies were performed by Prof. E.J. Boyd of the Young Ladies Seminary, assisted by Rev. Dr. Mattoon.
From 7 to 10 o’clock in the evening, a reception was held at the residence of the brides’ father (cards having been previously issued) which was very numerously attended, all uniting in congratulations to the bridegroom and wishes of a joyous and happy future to the bride. We noticed among the wedding presents to the bride, a large and elegant silver tea set, from the 1st Vermont Cavalry, and a beautiful set of plain solid silver presented by the 7th Michigan Cavalry. The happy pair left for Washington by the midnight train, accompanied as far as Cleveland by the whole bridal party. The General, we understand, has taken a house on the Rapidan, in the front, whither he takes his bride.
(Monroe Commercial, February 11, 1864, Page 3, Column 1)