Bygones of Monroe:
Col. Mulligan’s Visit to Monroe
The gallant Col. Mulligan, and the officers of his regiment which were with him at Lexington, paid a flying visit to Monroe on Friday last. They were met at the depot by the Mayor and Council, the members of the Bar, the Fire Companies and the soldiers of the Mulligan Regiment quartered at Camp Monroe. Col. Mulligan was accompanied by Gov. Blair, Quartermaster Fountain and several Detroit gentlemen. At the Depot, Mayor O’Conner made a brief address of welcome, which was briefly responded to by Col. M. He was then escorted to the Humphrey House where Judge Christiancy welcomed him in a short speech on behalf of the Bar, and presented him with a copy of resolutions passed by the bar at a previous meeting. The Colonel thanked the judge in a brief and feeling manner, and after many of the ladies and gentlemen present had shaken his hand in friendly welcome, he addressed the large assembly on the public square from a window of the Humphrey House parlor, in a very stirring and eloquent speech, which was loudly applauded.
In the afternoon the Colonel and suite visited Camp Monroe and reviewed the troops, and also addressed them in some short but well timed remarks, thanking them for the honor conferred on him by adopting his name, and exhorting them to do their whole duty in upholding the banner of our country. He was then escorted back to the cars, and returned to Detroit.
(Monroe Commercial, December 5, 1861, Page 3, Column 1)