Bygones of Monroe:
PORT OF HAVRE
ARRIVALS-Nov.1, 1836, Steam Boat MAZEPPA, from Buffalo, with passengers and goods for Messrs. Ludlow & Cornet; also Rigging, Iron, Oakham, and other materials for the ship SUPERIOR, to H. WHITAKER.
Same day, ship Superior, to undergo a thorough repair, and to be made a full-rigged ship, adding much to the commerce of the Lake: Her burthen, or freight, will be six thousand Bbls, one cargo.
The Mazeppa, makes Havre a regular stopping Port, and will be laid up there with several other Steam Boats and Schooners, for the winter. It is well known by good judges, that Havre is the best harbor on this border of the Lake, and far the safest place to lay up vessels and steam boats.
Havre has now ELEVEN HOUSES; and in March last there was not one. The Tavern House, which is inclosed, and now being painted, and partly finished inside, is, as it is believed, the largest, or rather the best wooden building in the county.
Piles are already driven for five sixty feet docks, which will be covered, and a warehouse erected, this winter; and corresponding improvements will be made, sufficient for carrying on a heavy business, by the opening of the navigation next spring.
Monroe Times, Nov. 24, 1836 p2