Monroe County Library System,  Monroe, MI 48162

Search:





Bygones of Monroe:

(Monroe Commercial, July 6, 1876, front page)

History of the Presbyterian Church of Monroe

On Sabbath morning last, Rev. D.P. Putnam delivered a discourse embracing the history of the Presbyterian Church in Monroe, from its organization in 1820 to the present.

From this discourse we learn that the church society was organized in Monroe January 13th, 1820, by Rev. John Monteith, of Detroit, a Presbyterian minister commissioned by the Board of Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the United States. The first Presbyterian preaching in Monroe was in 1816, by the said Rev. John Monteith, who signed himself "Bishop of Detroit," and whose Bishopric seems to have extended over this whole region of country.

At the time of organizing the church Mr. Monteith baptized two adults and four infants; and on the 30th of the same month, he administered the Lord's supper, for the first time in Monroe, to 22 persons. On the 18th of May, of the same year, 1820, he visited Monroe again, remaining several days, admitted 8 persons to the church, administered the communion, and ordained two elders, viz: Walcott Lawrence and Joseph Farrington.

The articles of faith adopted at the organization of the church; were substantially such as are used now, except that there was nothing that would exclude persons of any evangelical faith, Presbyterian, Congregationalists, Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, being alike received. In 1838, under the pastorage of Rev. J.W. Blythe, the differences began to arise which culminated in the withdrawal of a portion of the members, and the organization of a new society, which was called the Second Presbyterian Church of Monroe. The second church worshipped as a separate organization for a little more that a year, with Rev. R.S. Crampton as their pastor. But in 1839 the two organizations came together again under the pastorate of Rev. Conway P. Wing.

From the organization of the society until 1832 worship was held in private houses and in the old log Court House which stood on the public square, in front of the present Presbyterian Church . In 1832 the church now standing on the corner for First and Cass streets was built and occupied as a Presbyterian Church. In 1847 the building was sold and passed into the hands of the Lutherans. The church then worshipped in the Court House until 1848, when the present church was dedicated, the lot having been purchased and the building commenced in 1845.

Since the first organization of the society there have been ten installed pastors and eighteen stated supplies. The following is a list of the pastors, in chronological order:

Rev. P.W. Warriner, 1829 - 1834
Rev. J.W. Blythe, May 1837 - Fall 1838
Rev. C.P. Wing, Jan. 1839 - Oct. 1841
Rev. N. West, Oct. 1842 - Nov. 1843
Rev. Robert Southgate, Oct. 1845 - July 1849
Rev. L.P. Ledoux, May 1853 - April 1855
Rev. A.R. Strong, D.D., Nov. 1855 - July 1863
Rev. C.N. Mattoon, D.D., Sept. 1863 - April 1869
Rev. W.W. Newell Jr., July 1869 - July 1871
Rev. D.P. Putnam, Nov. 1871

The following are the names of the sixteen members who have served as elders of the church since its organization, in the order of their election: Joseph Farrington, Walcott Lawrence, Henry Disbrow, Oliver Johnson, Robert Clark, Harry Conant, John Anderson, Charles Noble, William H. Boyd, S.P. Morehouse, N.R. Haskell, Daniel S. Bacon, Thomas Clark, George London, James Armitage, Isaac Lewis. Ten of these have gone to their reward, and six are still living.

(Monroe Commercial, July 6, 1876, front page)


If you experience any difficulties with this web page please contact the Library at:
contact e-mail
Copyright Infringement Policies and Procedures,
Internet Service and Acceptable Use Policies
Copyright © 2012-13 Monroe County Library System


Home - Site Map - Library Catalog - Event Calendar - My Library Card  
MCLS Zones - Library Information - Books, Movies, Music
eResearch - Genealogy - Local Information


twitter Facebook Flickr Youtube