War Prisoners To Be Quartered On An Island In Lake Erie
Secretary Cameron has authorized the establishment of a depot for prisoners of war at Johnson’s Island, in Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie. An experienced builder of Sandusky has contracted to erect seventeen buildings, capable if accommodating 1000 prisoners. They are to be finished by December 10th, at a cost not exceed $25,000.
(Monroe Commercial, October 31, 1861, Page 3, Column 2)