LDS Family History Library
The Monroe County Library System's Ellis Library & Reference Center is an affiliate of the Genealogy collection of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) operates family history centers as extensions of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. In an effort to provide additional service to Monroe County residents you will now be able to borrow materials from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, through the Monroe County Library System.
Some films are permanently housed at the Ellis Library & Reference Center. You can view or download a list of Permanent Film Collection at MCLS.
Ordering Additional Films
There is a new and easy online ordering system now in place established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
You can find the order form at http://www.familysearch.org/films.
- In the upper right corner are the words Sign In, click there, and you can create a free account or sign into your current account.
- Establish your home family search center. Find the house icon, click on it, and fill in the blanks, your country and state. When the list of Michigan centers appears, scroll down to Monroe County Library System and click the radio button.
- Now you are ready to begin your search.
- Click on the FamilySearch logo in the upper left corner. Doing so will take you to the web site.
- Use the catalog to find the numbers of the microfilm that you would like to see. Be sure to look over the record closely, as more and more records are coming online each day. With a simple click where it says Available Online you are there!
- The system uses functions that are similar to many other eShopping functions. Easy payment can be made using Master Card or Visa.
The check out period is for 90 days OR you can make the loan permanent right from the beginning. There is also Ordering Help information located next to your home family search center.